My weight loss journey 1 year later

 June 2, 2019, I waddled my 420-pound body up Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls. My wife and I have taken an annual road trip for our anniversary every year since getting married in 2014. Our 2019 trip was special as it was the first time I had ever spent the night outside of the United States.

I had always been fairly athletic despite my size. I played ba
sketball and tennis almost every day growing up. My diet, however, was horrific. I lived off Hot Pockets and ice cream. But exercising every day at least kept me from ballooning as a teenager.


Then adulthood came, and the perceived time I had for exercise was replaced with work and chores. Leisure no longer felt like a priority.


Walking never felt like a challenge, and the walk from our hotel to the falls wasn’t hateful as it was downhill. But returning from the falls, I was gassed. The simple act of walking had fatigued me to the point that I had to stop. I was shameful.


I had never really felt “unhealthy” until this point.


Shamers be shaming


August 3, 2019, was a gut-wrenching day for many of us in the US. That Saturday, I had just taken Jenna’s car to get an oil change. We found out her rear brake lights would not work, and it appeared there were electrical malfunctions. We were planning on replacing her car at the end of the year, so leaning of a potentially expensive electrical issue prompted us to decide on buying a new car.


When I came home, I heard that there was a massacre at the El Paso Walmart. I checked in with our Saturday person at work, and she was going to need some relief at some point (any one who has worked in breaking news understands how draining these massacres are).


After working an unexpected Saturday shift, I went to bed planning on teaching a few classes in the morning and then going to buy Jenna a new car. After briefly falling asleep, I received a text that another massacre happened, this time just 15 miles down the road in Dayton. Having graduated from Wright State and then working at the Dayton Daily News, I had many friends living in that immediate area. My thoughts turned to them as I now had to work another shift, this time in an area I knew quite well.


While reporting on the events taking place in Dayton, some of my tweets went viral. Immediately, some of the responses weren’t about the shooting, but about my weight. There is this huge tragedy happening in Dayton, and my weight was the issue for some on social media.


To be fair to other reporters, this was a new experience for me. For many of my (especially female) colleagues, the vitriol of fat-shamers can be far worse. I am not an on-camera journalist, but for those who are, the shaming can be downright vitriolic. But given the two tragedies going on, it was tough to process this hate I was receiving.


A few weeks later, I watched a segment on Bill Maher’s show about how there should be more fat-shaming in society. It had me thinking that all of those people tweeting at me during another tragic night in our country were the ones who were right, and who am I to judge them?


I decided to get a gym membership. But the very thing that was driving me to get in shape was what was scaring me off. If these fat-shamers are so spiteful online, how much shame will I face at a gym?


Last September, I went for a walk at VOA Park in Butler County, Ohio. The loop there is 1.5 miles. I felt so exhausted just going once around that loop.


I had enough.


I knew I wanted to get into shape.


For several weeks starting around late September 2019, weighing over 420 pounds, I started walking as fast and long as I could. The 1.5-mile walk quickly became 3-mile walks. While I wasn’t seeing results on the scale, I was feeling better mentally.


Shamers replaced with cheerleaders


After a few walks, I already ran into a few folks at VOA Park who saw how much of a sweat I was working up, and gave me so much encouragement to keep moving. I never expected to get thumbs up from people. You quickly realize that for every person out there shaming you, there are dozens ready to push you and help you.


As the weather turned colder, I finally worked up the courage to enter a gym. And it’s true about Planet Fitness… it truly is the “No Judgement Zone.”


People there were so wonderful. Hearing people say “good work” was a great affirmation that I was in the right place.


My time spent exercising prompted me to do a lot of research on how to lose weight, and what I could do to drop weight. There are SO MANY diets out there. Which one is right for me?


It seemed the one constant was you have to watch your calories. If you burn more calories than you consume, you’ll lose weight. I am pretty good with numbers and statistics, so I realized that this could be a winner.


So I decided to go with a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet. Coupled with exercise, I found myself losing weight QUICKLY. In the month of December alone, I lost 25 pounds.


I have not put anything in my body that I don’t track. I track every calorie I eat. It is a great way to hold oneself accountable.


Last December was when exercising no longer felt like a chore but routine. I was no longer “forcing myself” to exercise, and had to force myself to take a few day off for rest.


This habit of eating 2,000 calories a day and exercising almost every day simply became my routine, and unlike past diets, it felt like this one worked for me. If I wanted to have a cookie, I could, but I had to make up for it somewhere else. My habit of eating a whole package of Oreos quickly disappeared, however. I have bought a few package of cookies since, but it seems they spoil before I get a chance to finish the container.


Then came COVID


March 11 started off a good day. My weigh-in had me down 78 pounds since October. I went to the gym and had a good workout on the stair stepper. I then went to work.


Our whole world felt like it changed in one night.


That evening, the NBA suspended the season, President Trump suspended travel between Europe and the US, and Tom Hanks announced he had the coronavirus. It felt like all of a sudden, the coronavirus was going to have a major impact on our way of life for months to come.


Leaving work that night in a bit of a haze, all I wanted to do was stress eat.


I got off at an interstate exit and was about to order a midnight McDonald’s hamburger.


Then when I got to the drive thru, I saw my gym membership dangling from my keys and decided not to undo the effort I put in that day at the gym. So I drove home and opted for a small, more calorie-friendly snack.


In the days to come, I decided to workout from home. I found myself doing step aerobics on a daily basis, thanks to my wife finding a fantastic YouTube channel. I am so thankful for Jenny Ford for her encouragement as she is a great step aerobics instructor. Even though I don’t do step aerobics as often, I plan on doing more as the weather gets colder. It’s a great full-body workout that requires very little equipment. And it doesn’t require going to an indoor gym during a pandemic!


Becoming a runner


At the start of 2020, I thought it would be cool to do a 5K. But I didn’t just want to walk one, so I decided if I could go 5Ks in less than 45 minutes, I’d sign up for one. Little did I know the only options for 2020 would be virtual.


I never really thought I’d enjoy running. It never appealed to me.


In May, I tested myself by seeing how fast I could go at the park. It was the first time I had jogged or walked in two months. I crossed the proverbial finish line in less than 40 minutes.


YES!


Time to sign up for a 5K!


It also turns out running is a great way to burn calories. This started to become my daily routine. It also is such a great way to clear the mind. I put on some music and don’t think about work or the ills of the world.


This is also where I picked up more cheerleaders. I never truly planned on documenting my weight loss journey. I thought to myself I am doing this for myself, and not those dreaded fat-shamers.


But I posted some photos of my first runs, and your support was so overwhelming. It truly motivated me to keep going.


On July 3, I ran my first official 5K. Not that I was counting, but my photo from that day had over 200 Facebook likes... more than I got for my wedding. HAHA


It was time for a new challenge: a 10K. I completed my first 10K on September 14 in 1 hour, 11 minutes. A few days later, I set my 5K PR at 29 minutes.


Let’s say beyond the improvement of my physical health, my mental health has improved so much too.


I have felt so fortunate to have my health and fitness back during a time that so many are suffering, I decided to organize a 5K to benefit Feeding America. A small group of friends have joined, and we have already enough participants to contribute nearly 2,500 meals to Feeding America.


If anyone is interested to join, it is on Facebook as the “Beat COVD, Beat Hunger 5k Fun Run.”


What’s next


As I end my first year of diet and exercise, I can announce I have lost 155 pounds. Even at 265 pounds, I am still considered “obese.” There is more weight I want to lose as I want to continue doing more with running. I have already started planning on running a half marathon in 2021. Nine months ago, even the idea of doing a 5K didn’t feel like a given.


I understand losing weight is not as challenging as maintaining weight loss. But I am sure with the constant support I have received from so many of you, I will give it my all in keeping the weight off.


One reason I write this is because I have gotten several messages from others saying how my new lifestyle has caused them to get more fit. I can’t tell you what it means to be an inspiration to others. Given all of the perceived hate in the world, love is what rules. And I have felt the love from my dear friends and family, especially Jenna!


Thank you to everyone for your love and support. You all mean so much to me and I feel so proud that I have been able to inspire others to get out and enjoy the outdoors.




PS, enjoy this fall weather! This is great running and biking weather!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 miler

Feeling like a kid