Feeling like a kid

So here I am, putting what is in my head on the interwebs. 


My thought tonight is a lingering one about where I am in my fitness. 


First off, if you have stumbled on my blog, a few things you must know. Tuesday marks the one-year anniversary of starting to calorie count and maintain at least a 1,000-calorie deficit per day. Since December 1, 2019, I have lost 156 pounds, for a total of 176 pounds since last October. 


While sensible eating has certainly helped, fitness, exercise and frequent running has helped the most. Last week, I ran a 10K in 1:04. Fourteen months ago, I struggled to just walk a mile or two. 


My recovery from the 10K felt fast. I went out on Saturday and ran three miles. On Sunday, I trekked four miles. Even as recently as a month or two ago, a four-mile run would have had me gassed. But Sunday’s run was not exhausting. Not in the least. 


So here is my dilemma. Where is my limit? 


I am still a 240-pound man. We aren’t meant for distance running, even if I am 180 pounds lighter than my former self. 


My goal is now to run a half marathon in 2021. I feel confident I can. But I keep asking myself if I am pushing myself beyond the limit. Is it too much? After all, I could barely walk at great length a little more than a year ago. 


Like a little kid, I am testing my limits. What are the boundaries? What can I get away with? The last thing I want to do is have a setback. I hear people say those who are overweight have to be extra careful with running. 


I don’t know anyone who has been in a similar situation. How many people have lost 180 pounds, and still counting, and gone on to run a half marathon? Or even a 10K? 


I have talked to a lot of my friends who are runners, or striving to become runners. I have a few friends also going through the weight loss and running process together. I am thankful for them because we push each other. We know what it’s like. They are great sounding boards for advice and next steps. 


But even with all of the feedback and positive reinforcement, I am still muddled on whether I am going too far too fast.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 miler

My weight loss journey 1 year later